Status: Part-Time, Temporary
Location: Washington, DC
Supervisor: Senior Director of Study Abroad Programs
Youth for Understanding USA (YFU) advances intercultural understanding, mutual respect and social responsibility through educational exchanges for youth, families and communities. Through the exchange experience, YFU students gain intercultural understanding, learn mutual respect, and develop a sense of social responsibility. Their experience abroad gives them leadership competencies necessary to meet the challenges and benefit from the opportunities of a fast-changing global community.
Purpose of Position:
The Study Abroad Recruitment Assistant is responsible for following up with YFU Study Abroad inquiries and leads with the goal of increasing overall student application numbers and helping students and families choose YFU for their study abroad experience. He/she will connect with high school applicants to YFU Study Abroad programs and their families through email and telephone to answer their questions, retain their interest, and guide them through the application process.
- Answer incoming inquiry calls and messages to the YFU hotline and chat feature of the YFU website. Field a large volume of calls and be responsible for an established target numbers of outbound calls per shift. The Recruitment Assistant will be expected to follow up with their assigned leads in a timely and thorough fashion.
- Identify top leads for follow-up and refer them to the Recruitment Coordinator for tracking.
- Maintain and update an online customer database.
- Distribute Study Abroad program offerings, policies and procedures of the YFU program to prospective applicants and their parents.
- Advance the organizations interests through cross-selling the hosting, volunteer and outbound experiences during conferences, presentations, and other appropriate recruitment venues. Have knowledge and understanding of YFU’s mission statement and goals in order to present appropriately the wholeness of the YFU experience to prospective applicants and their families.
- Assist with Virtual Information Nights and other recruitment activities where appropriate and requested (i.e. mailings, email campaigns, social media outreach, etc.).
- All other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or equivalent combination of education and some work experience.
- Have excellent telephone skills, with proven recruitment/sales experience.
- Experience preferably in marketing, sales, social media, recruitment, and/or international education.
- Strong and effective communication skills, both written and oral; experience speaking and presenting to large groups, ability to communicate tactfully, diplomatically and constructively with audiences including staff; volunteers, students and parents.
- Must be detail-oriented, with basic skills in Microsoft Office, including Excel and Outlook.
- Experience communicating with social media a plus.
- Must be self-motivated and self-directed.
- Ability to work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks, and work in team environment (virtually and/or in person).
- Excellent work ethic; very dependable; cooperative; highly organized, ability to meet deadlines
- Knowledge of or experience with multi-cultural, inter-cultural, or cross-cultural education preferable.
- Working knowledge of Study Abroad program offerings, policies and procedures of the YFU program.
- Knowledge of a second language is desirable.
Previous experience working with high school aged youth desirable.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Talking, and hearing skills, and repetitive motions of wrists, hand, and/or fingers. Employee is subject to both environmental conditions: activities occur inside.
Computer, keyboard, calculator, copier, telephone, printer, computer software
Applicants must be eligible for employment and able to pass a pre-employment background check. If you are qualified and interested in being considered for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements at the career site.