Location: No specific location is required.
Reports to: Senior Director, International Student Programs
Youth for Understanding USA (YFU) advances intercultural understanding, mutual respect and social responsibility through educational exchanges for youth, families and communities. Through the exchange experience, YFU students gain intercultural understanding, learn mutual respect, and develop a sense of social responsibility. Their experience abroad gives them leadership competencies necessary to meet the challenges and benefit from the opportunities of a fast-changing global community.
Purpose of Position:
Based on YFU’s mission and goals and as directed by the Senior Director of International Student Programs, the Regional Director (RD) designs, plans, implements, evaluates, and assures an effective, quality inbound and outbound student exchange program within their region. The RD has oversight responsibility for student/host family recruitment, fiscal responsibility and personnel management for a defined Region within the Programs Division. The RD collaborates with the Exchange Experience Division in volunteer management, education & training, quality assurance, compliance and student support.
- Develop and lead successful strategies for training and field development and operationalize recruitment plans for the Region’s inbound and outbound student programs and on-going host family recruitment.
- Manage student and financial goals for incoming and outgoing student programs.
- Direct and proactively oversee Field Director’s providing leadership, training, focus, accountability and guidance in order to develop a team who can successfully meet the goals of the organization.
- Develop and successfully monitor the Region’s budget.
- Inform and advise Senior Management on critical issues and developments within the Region.
- Assume shared responsibility for the financial health and success of the organization.
- Represent the organization to all constituencies in a highly professional manner.
- Other responsibilities as required.
- Lead or participate in ad-hoc teams as appropriate.
- Master’s Degree in not-for-profit management is preferred or significant experience in a related discipline such as not-for-profit/volunteer-based management, organizational development, training and development.
- Minimum of five years of successful management experience in an educational, volunteer-based or not-for-profit environment.
- Previous intercultural experience preferred; ideally previous experience in international student exchange.
- Demonstrated success in personnel management, financial management, organizational design, relationship building and corporate change.
- Strong leadership qualities – most importantly one who can inspire; lead by example; motivate; set clear expectations and accountability; an effective communicator, and one who can build a positive and productive team.
- A multi-tasker; one who can envision the big picture and have the ability to keep program moving.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including successful conflict resolution techniques.
- Dedication, commitment and success in meeting set program goals and requirements.
- Extremely effective organizational ability and the ability to effectively oversee and manage remotely a large and diverse program and staff.
- Effectively able to work under extreme pressure with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Able to travel and adjust work schedule as required.
- Proficient in database management; spreadsheet applications; internet, and word processing.
- Flexibility, reliability, dependability and time management effectiveness; trustworthiness; self- directed and self-motivated.
Based on ADA guidelines, the following are minimal physical activities applicable to this position--
- Talking; hearing; standing; walking; repetitive motion of wrists, hands, and/or fingers
- Sedentary work - exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently
- Visual Acuity - Level 1 - Minimum standard for use with those whose work deals largely with preparing and analyzing data and figures, accounting, and extensive reading
- Working conditions - this position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
Computer, keyboard, calculator, telephone, printer, fax machine, computer software
This job description will be reviewed periodically as functions and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
Applicants must be eligible for employment and able to pass a pre-employment background check. If you are qualified and interested in being considered for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements at the career site.