Location: No specific location is required.
Reports to: Director of Support Services
Youth for Understanding USA (YFU) advances intercultural understanding, mutual respect and social responsibility through educational exchanges for youth, families and communities. Through the exchange experience, YFU students gain intercultural understanding, learn mutual respect, and develop a sense of social responsibility. Their experience abroad gives them leadership competencies necessary to meet the challenges and benefit from the opportunities of a fast-changing global community.
Purpose of Position:
Based on the mission and goals set by Youth For Understanding USA, the Support Services Manager (SSM) provides support, training and guidance to volunteers as well as students, hosts and schools. This position reports to the Director of Support Services.
- Provide problem-solving consultation on participant support issues to all constituents.
- Counsel program volunteers and at times participants on tips for cultural adjustment, academic success, relationship building and general adolescent topics. Communicate accurately and in a timely manner with partner countries regarding all student case work.
- Alert the Associate Director or Director of Support Services or other responsible officer as required of situations requiring Incident Report Filing with the Department of State.
- Make reports to social services or law enforcement agencies as required and directed by Associate Director of Support Services. Counsel volunteer Area Representatives (AR) who are required reporters to make own reports.
- Make district counseling referrals in accordance with YFU/USA guidelines.
- Maintain an accurate database for all participant-related issues and reasons for student moves (host family and school changes). Maintain on-line documentation of case notes which are available to national office staff for audit and complaint resolution.
- Maintain oversight of AR case management.
- Monitor instances when a student's assigned advocate may be losing objectivity and bring to the attention of the Director of Support Services.
- Work in collaboration with Volunteer Programs staff on monitoring support ARs to ensure that they are in compliance with Department of State regulations and YFU basic standards.
- Responsible for monitoring AR completion of Monthly Contact Reports (MCRs).
- Recommend remedial training for ARs/volunteers if such needs arise.
- Issue encouragement, warning and probation letters, behavioral improvement plans, and probation and early return documents.
- Identify district counselors as independent consultants to assist with case evaluations.
- Support Field Director and volunteer to assure timely replacement of students where necessary
- Assist volunteer program coordinators and regional directors with planning, implementation and delivery of AR training programs.
- Approve all student on-program travel and dangerous activity participation.
- Assist Travel Department with inbound or outbound travel arrangements where necessary.
- Working in collaboration with volunteers and field directors, ensure that host family record accurately reflects standing within YFU USA. Mark host families as "not eligible" and "do not use" as appropriate.
- Report to Quality Assurance team missing SEE visits and other support concerns when found in participant case work and documentation.
- Make recommendations for early program termination through consultation with participants, host families, volunteers, schools and international partners.
- Provide rotating coverage for the After Hours Support Emergency Line.
- Work with the Education & Training Team to provide updates to training materials, Monthly Support Tips and review of YFU program policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in ad-hoc teams as appropriate.
- Provide feedback to Volunteer Programs team, as well as input to curriculum teams.
- Provide input to participant procedure and policy changes identified as needs through case-management process.
- Participate in summer exchange student placement cycle and recruitment activities as directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Knowledge:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience in relevant discipline; Masters Degree preferred.
- International and/or intercultural experience preferred.
- Problem-solving and consultative skills, including an ability to resolve conflicts and recommend an appropriate course of action.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively and discreetly under pressure with sensitive issues.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; customer service-oriented telephone manner and excellent listening and reflecting skills.
- Demonstrated customer service and problem-solving experience.
- Ability to work independently in the absence of detailed instruction and direct supervision.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to work under pressure on multiple tasks with deadlines.
- Ability to maintain objectivity and defuse emotional situations.
- Ability to problem solve, ensuring appropriate outcomes for participants, partners, and the organization are balanced and maintained.
- Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheets, and database applications.
- Ability to work beyond a standard business day.
- Ability to serve in an on-call function for assigned evenings and weekends.
- Access to internet, phone and computer required when on-call, including capability to make oversees phone calls.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Flexibility and dependability essential.
- Past experience in a training role is helpful.
- Based on ADA guidelines, the following are minimal physical activities applicable to this position--
- Talking; hearing; fingering; repetitive motion of wrists, hands and/or fingers
- Sedentary Work - exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently
- Visual Acuity - Level 1 Minimum standard for use with those whose work deals largely with preparing and analyzing data and figures, accounting, and extensive reading
- Working conditions - this position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions
Computer, keyboard, calculator, telephone, printer, fax machine, computer software, personal cell-phone or YFU issued cell-phone.
This job description will be reviewed periodically as functions and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
Applicants must be eligible for employment and able to pass a pre-employment background check. If you are qualified and interested in being considered for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements at the career site.