Community College Program for International Students
Young adults aged 18-23 can study in US for a semester, an year or two to pursue ESL program, academic program or Associate's degree. Attend a college in the US and fully integrate in the local culture.
Welcome to the YFU USA Community College Program!
What are Community Colleges?
Community colleges are very popular programs for students in the US to work towards their Associate's or Bachelor's Degree and are a gateway to universities. Typically smaller schools in more intimate communities, community colleges provide students a more affordable way to receive an education. With smaller class sizes, students have the opportunity to not only get to know their fellow students better, but also receive more one on one support and assistance from teachers as well.
YFU Community College Program
YFU’s Community College Program welcomes young adults (17-23) to pursue either an English as a Second Language Program or an Academic Program for a semester, year, or two-year Associate's Degree. Since the program’s inception more than 30 years ago, over 3,000 students from more than 40 countries have taken on the challenge of attending college in the U.S. and fully integrating into their local community.
Students may choose between living with a host family or living with their fellow students in a dorm. Students who choose to live in a dorm will still spend time with an American mentor family while experiencing American family life and values. The Community College Program provides diverse educational opportunities to participants through engaging academic and cultural experiences on their campus at least once a month that reflect the true American college experience.
Once on campus, students receive support from a designated staff member, a Campus Coordinator, who help with classes, planning a schedule, integration into campus, as well as organizing activities for international students. Some Campus Coordinators have been with YFU for 20 years, that's how much they love what they do!
If you are an international student who has completed your secondary school education and desire to come to the US for undergraduate (post-secondary) study, consider the YFU Community College Program.
Current and prospective students should review the program handbook, our brochure, and our other pages for more information. We have translated some of the items from the handbook into Chinese, Korean and French.
want to study at a community college in the US?
International secondary school graduates between the ages of 17 and 23 can participate in university-level academic classes or English language classes at community colleges across the United States. Students who choose to live in the dormitories must be at least 18 years of age.
The Community College Program matches your needs and professional or academic objectives with the strengths and programs available at participating colleges to find the best possible fit. Program orientations and monthly cultural enrichment activities are arranged for you by your college. You will pursue your preferred field of study, learn about life in the U.S. and your immediate community. Students have the opportunity to take courses in a variety of subjects in order to explore interests, expand knowledge, and participate in traditional American past-times and student activities.
YFU’s Community College Program offers you the opportunity to study in the USA through one of our four programs:
- English as a Second Language Program: This intensive English Language Program (ESL) is designed to improve English language skills. The program begins in August or early January. The program includes 16 hours of intensive English language instruction per academic session (non-credit program). Students may choose either a homestay or college dorm housing experience. Students will participate in this program if their CELT score is below 200.
- Academic Program: Students can participate in this program for either a semester or year. This program is designed to offer academic and career training in a variety of subject areas. The academic load is 16 credit hours per semester. Students may choose either a homestay or college dorm housing experience.
- Two Year/Degree Program: If needed, students can begin the two year program partaking in English language coursework. In the second or third semester, students may transition into higher level academic coursework that can count towards obtaining a certificate or earning an Associate's Degree. For those with advanced English language capacity, the two-year program is designed to provide career skills while also offering transferable credits to a U.S. four-year college or university. Students may choose to live with a host family or dorm the first academic year, but will live independently in apartments during their second year, at their own expense. The program includes a total of 64 credit hours of tuition. It is also important to note that students on this program are responsible for their own living expenses over the summer. YFU does not provide housing or living expenses during the summer. Students are welcome to travel through the U.S. or return to their home country.
Student can choose to live either with a host family or in a dorm during their exchange.
- Dorm: Students who opt to live in the dorm will live with roommates in either on-campus or near campus dorms. During orientations and holidays, students live with a Mentor Family in the community. This option is currently limited to students over 18. Students who stay over the summer are responsible for finding their own accommodations. It is very typical for America students to live in the dorms for their college experience.
- Host Family: You can also decide to live with a carefully vetted host family. This host family will provide you with a place to live as well as meals inside the home. Students are responsible for finding their own accommodations over the summer. YFU will only provide housing support for students up to a week after finals.
If interested, please contact the office nearest your home country for more information and to start your application today. If YFU is not available in your country, please contact us directly at email@example.com.