Status: Temporary, Part-Time
Position Dates: March 13, 2017 - August 18, 2017
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Director of Education and Training
Youth For Understanding (YFU) advances intercultural understanding, mutual respect and social responsibility through educational exchanges for youth, families and communities. Through the exchange experience, YFU participants gain intercultural understanding, learn mutual respect, and develop a sense of social responsibility. Their experience abroad gives them leadership competencies necessary to meet the challenges and benefit from the opportunities of a fast-changing global community.
Purpose of Position:
The National Pre-Departure Orientation (NPDO) Logistics Coordinator is a temporary position that works in collaboration with the NPDO Site Director, while reporting to Director of Education & Training. YFU USA is committed to providing students with comprehensive educational programming that helps prepare them for their unique exchange experiences. The NPDO Logistics Coordinator is a key position in the execution of the NPDO and the quality of his/her efforts bears significantly and directly upon the quality of the students’ experience. The NPDO Logistics Coordinator will serve as a key member of the NPDO team by handling all logistics and coordination to carry out the three-day NPDO orientation for American students studying abroad for semester and yearlong programs.
- Coordinate logistical arrangements for NPDO including but not limited to:
- Working closely with the YFU USA Travel Department to plan student arrivals and departures at airports;
- Updating the NPDO website and tracking student registration for the event;
- Working with vendors to plan transportation for students;
- Drafting and mailing correspondence to orientation staff and students;
- Coordinating the purchase of necessary and approved orientation supplies;
- Preparing staff training material and student program materials;
- Maintaining a record of petty cash expenses, accounting, and processing expenses within YFU USA;
- Preparing invoices for payment by the YFU USA Finance Department; and processing program evaluations.
- Other duties assigned on an as-needed basis according to the skills and abilities of the candidate
- As requested by the Site Director and Director of Education & Training, complete tasks in a timely manner and share ongoing progress with team members;
- Manage the orientation site as requested by the Site Director and serve as the Site Director during his/her absence.
- Create effective working relationships with all program staff members.
- In coordination with the Site Director, advise and help students with special problems, except those that require professional counseling.
Qualifications and Knowledge:
- Successful experience with event-planning and logistical coordination
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to easily interact with high school students, colleagues, management, and vendors
- Comfortable with contacting and coordinating arrangements with outside vendors and contractors
- Must be detail-oriented, timely, responsible, organized, and flexible
- Must be able to work well under tight deadlines and pressure, providing calm and clear direction and assistance
- Must be able to organize one’s time well and be able to keep up with last minute changes
- Must be able to coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent computer skills including word processing, PowerPoint, Excel, and Internet
- Previous international living or student exchange experience highly desirable
Program dates are March 13, 2017 through August 18, 2017.
· March and April - 15 hours per week
· May – 30 hours per week
· June and July – 36+ hours per week
· August- 10 hours a week until mid-month
Adhere to program policies and to YFU USA’s policies and procedures as outlined in the YFU Basic Standards.
Attend all aspects of the orientation programs, including training, meals, sessions and special events as well as staying overnight at the orientation site during the orientation.
All travel, meals, and on-site costs will be covered when working at the NPDO in Naperville, Illinois.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, telephones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required.
- This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
- Basic math skills needed to calculate formulas, commissions, discounts, etc.
- Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds.
This job description will be reviewed periodically as functions and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
Applicants must be eligible for employment and able to pass a pre-employment background check. If you are qualified and interested in being considered for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter at the career site.