Status: Independent Contractor
Location: Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas/Ft Worth, Denver, Detroit, Newark, San Francisco, Washington DC / Northern Virginia.
Reports to: Travel Operations & Systems Specialist
Youth For Understanding (YFU) advances intercultural understanding, mutual respect and social responsibility through educational exchanges for youth, families, and communities. Through the exchange experience, YFU students gain intercultural understanding, learn mutual respect, and develop a sense of social responsibility. Their experience abroad gives them leadership competencies necessary to meet the challenges and benefit from the opportunities of a fast-changing global community.
Purpose of the Position:
Are you an expert at navigating busy airports? Do you want a unique summer role that allows you to meet international students while helping them to make flight connections? We are looking for energetic people to meet international exchange students in the airport, acting as their liaison and advocate between airline staff and YFU headquarters. We want people who can think on their feet, who can adapt to change quickly, and who like pizza! No suit and tie required for this position, just your running shoes, some patience and a sense of humor. Full training will be provided.
If you are the travel planner for your friends and family, enjoy being on your feet, and appreciate the sometimes hectic nature of airline travel, why not get paid to be you?
- Meet arriving and departing American and foreign exchange students and make sure they get to their correct connection gates and board their planes.
- Work with airline staff to help rebook students in cases of missed flights or flight cancellations.
- Respond to other issues including lost luggage, missing travel documents, student distress, etc.
- Chaperone hotel overnights and enjoy pizza with the students (we feed you!)
- Communicate regularly with your supervisor via phone or text message, updating them on flight status, delays, cancellations and other unforeseen circumstances. Account for all students daily.
- Own a cellphone, and have access to a computer and printer.
- Wear a YFU T-shirt and carry YFU ID badge for easier access behind security at airport.
- Be the face of YFU USA when working with students, families, airlines and/or TSA personnel.
- Available early June- Mid September (but not necessarily a full time position).
Qualifications and Knowledge:
- Loves meeting new people, especially international youth
- Effective communicator with strong attention to detail
- Punctual, professional, and a reliable team member
- Exceptional customer service and ability to remain cool in challenging or demanding situations
- Problem solver, able to make quick decisions with sound judgement
- Familiar with airline travel, airports
- Flexible and comfortable working on-call, adjusting to last minute changes, possible overnight shifts
This job is an independent contract position. Contractors are not employees of YFU USA and are responsible to report their earnings to the IRS. YFU will provide a Form 1099-MISC to contractors who make over $600 in a calendar year.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds.
This job description will be reviewed periodically as functions and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
Applicants must be eligible for employment and able to pass a pre-employment background check. If you are qualified and interested in being considered for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements at the career site using the link below.