Location: Saginaw, Michigan
Reports to: Registrar
Youth For Understanding (YFU) advances intercultural understanding, mutual respect and social responsibility through educational exchanges for youth, families, and communities. Through the exchange experience, YFU participants gain intercultural understanding, learn mutual respect, and develop a sense of social responsibility. Their experience abroad gives them leadership competencies necessary to meet the challenges and benefit from the opportunities of a fast-changing global community.
Purpose of Position:
Facilitate the vetting of host family applications according to Department of State (DOS) regulations within YFU. Work as part of a team to manage the workflow of the registration department and its processing of International Student paperwork. Responsible for the review and initial approval of placement documentation. Provide administrative assistance to Regional staff and volunteers.
- Primary responsibility for quality control and management of the documentation process and review of all required documents submitted for student placement.
- The Registration Specialist is responsible for reviewing and providing supplemental investigation on highly personal information contained in host family applications, Criminal Background Checks, and applicant records. Ability to professionally discuss issues with applicant/participant to gain needed information to determine eligibility.
- Manage and coordinate oversight of compliance standards as established by the State Department and YFU USA regulations of all inbound student documentation.
- Maintain complete District databases with primary responsibility for data entry into YFU central databases.
- Monitor, track, and facilitate communications between the district office, staff, partner countries, volunteers, and the general public.
- Manage record maintenance of district participant files.
- Manage and coordinate effectively the administrative oversight for the fields ensuring timely response and meeting deadlines
- Process, track and provide initial approval of expense reports according to internal protocols
- Occasional overnight travel
- Assist with reference calling
- Other duties as assigned
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of education and experience preferably in sales/marketing, cold calling and recruiting, volunteer management, organizational development, and community networking.
- Excellent leadership and supervisory skills; volunteer management highly desired.\
- Previous intercultural and/or student exchange experience preferred.
- Exceptional interpersonal, listening, problem-solving, and diplomatic skills and ability to handle sensitive matters discreetly. Must possess a strong aptitude to make sound decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively under pressure; able to consistently meet goals.
- Computer literacy; flexibility, reliability, and dependability required.
- Well versed in Microsoft office products, including Microsoft Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook/MS Office Suite.
- Ability to work beyond normal business hours including weekends and late evenings during peak season. Occasional overnight travel.
- Ability to follow-through on tasks and successfully coordinate multiple tasks is required.
- Ability to maintain a fully functional home or field office, including all tools and business supplies necessary for marketing, communication and document management.
Based on ADA guidelines, the following are minimal physical activities applicable to this position:
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Talking, and hearing skills, and repetitive motions of wrists, hand, and/or fingers.
- Medium work rating which consists of exerting up to 50 lbs of force occasionally and/or up to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Computer, keyboard, calculator, telephone, printer, fax machine, computer software
This job description will be reviewed periodically as functions and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
Applicants must be eligible for employment and able to pass a pre-employment background check. If you are qualified and interested in being considered for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements at the career site.