Status: Full-Time Seasonal
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Travel Operations Manager
Youth For Understanding (YFU) advances intercultural understanding, mutual respect and social responsibility through educational exchanges for youth, families, and communities. Through the exchange experience, YFU participants gain intercultural understanding, learn mutual respect, and develop a sense of social responsibility. Their experience abroad gives them leadership competencies necessary to meet the challenges and benefit from the opportunities of a fast-changing global community.
Purpose of Position: Are you an expert communicator and multi-tasker? Did you ever think you could get paid to send text messages? If you love organizing people and can’t put the phone down, come and speak with us. We are looking for three Travel Assistance Coordinators to work from our Washington D.C. office, managing a remote staff in airports across the country, to ensure safe travels for our exchange students during the summer.
This is a full-time position during the summer season, with 24-hour on-call status and overtime hours, so enjoying some late nights and takeout food at the office is a must. Full training is provided.
· Liaison between the Airport Staff and the Travel Operations Manager and Director at YFU USA.
· Manage remote staff who meet and assist American and foreign exchange students with domestic and international flight connections in one or more U.S. airports.
· Review student flight schedule and send daily updates to your staff, including last minute changes. Monitor flight status as students are traveling and prepare for any irregularities.
· In constant communication with Airport Staff to provide support for any questions or unforeseen circumstances as they arise (delays, cancellations, rebooking’s, lost luggage).
· Notify host families or Travel Operations Manager of itinerary changes/updates.
· Answer Travel Emergency hotline, answer questions and resolve problems for customers.
· Organize and track your staff’s work schedule, hotel accommodations, meals, expenses, and payroll.
· Flexible schedule a must. Overtime and late shifts are common, depending on the airport traffic.
· Available early June through end of August /early September, on call 24 hours.
Qualifications and Knowledge
· High energy & highly organized
· Tolerance for high volume of calls & inquiries, able to respond to emergencies expeditiously. Experience in fast paced, high volume restaurant/hotel/call center is desirable.
· Exceptional customer service and ability to remain cool in challenging or demanding situations
· Effective communicator with strong attention to detail
· Multi-tasker who can keep several balls in the air simultaneously
· Problem solver, able to make quick decisions with sound judgment
· Flexible schedule. Full time with overtime and early or late hours at times
· Punctual, professional, and a reliable part of a team
· Basic knowledge of Microsoft programs
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, telephones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
· This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required.
· This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
· Basic math skills needed to calculate formulas, commissions, discounts, etc.
· Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds.
Computer, keyboard, calculator, telephone, printer, fax machine, computer software
This job description will be reviewed periodically as functions and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
Applicants must be eligible for employment and able to pass a pre-employment background check. If you are qualified and interested in being considered for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements at the career site using the link below.