Job Classification: Exempt
Supervisor: Director of Program Development
Date: May 2019
YFU advances intercultural understanding, life-long learning, global competencies, mutual respect, and social responsibility through transformational educational exchanges for generations of youth, families, and communities, supported by dedicated volunteers and professional staff. Participants’ experience abroad gives them leadership competencies necessary to meet the challenges and benefit from the opportunities of a fast-changing global community.
Purpose of the Position:
Based on YFU’s mission and goals, this position will coordinate the organization’s special projects, primarily short-term inbound programs, including community service program for German youth, diplomacy program for Japanese groups, theme-specific programs such as STEM and Politics/Debate for a number of countries primarily in Asia, Europe, and Latin America, as well as any other assigned projects and programs. The position assists the Director of Program Development in all aspects of program development, implementation, tracking, and client relationships. Core responsibilities include management of incoming student files, recruiting host families and maintaining meaningful ties with them, designing theme-specific schedules for incoming students, chaperoning the group or supervising a contract chaperon, recruiting and supervising temporary contractors, and forming partnerships with area high schools and organizations in targeted areas of the country. The position will also assist the Program Development team in the implementation of YFU programs and projects as needed. The position requires a candidate who is confident in representing YFU in a professional and knowledgeable manner, has a strong desire to successfully grow the programs, is a strong individual performer while also being a team player.
Achievement Motivation – Drive and commitment to succeed, competitiveness and goal achievement.
Emotional Stability/Adaptability – Ability to function effectively even when faced with rejection or stressful situations. Sees each failure as one step closer to success. Learns from failures and doesn’t take it personally.
Emotional Intelligence – Ability to empathize and understand the emotions and motivations that underlie human behavior, i.e., ‘reading people’ well.
Accountability/Locus of Control - Responsibility for one’s own success or failure.
Organization/Time Management - Effective prioritization.
General Cognitive Ability – Ability to interpret information quickly and accurately.
Communication (oral and written) - Ability to articulate well and be easily understood, especially when communicating with a diverse group of people.
The role of Program Coordinator (PC) has four major parts: Program Preparation and Logistics, Student Placement, Program Execution, and Strategic Planning.
Program Preparation and Logistics: The PC will be responsible for the following activities:
· Identify and secure opportunities appropriate for the program themes for program participants. Typical program themes are community service, STEM, Politics/Debate, and American history and culture.
· Make logistical arrangements for the programs’ smooth operation.
· Respond to inquiries and coordinate with collaborating agencies.
· Assist with the design and development of promotional, orientation, and training materials for YFU USA’s overseas partners.
Student Placement: The PC will be responsible for finding and vetting host families for the students. Specifically, the PC will:
· Identify and help screen host families.
· Assist potential host families complete their application and all supplementary documentation and requirements including conducting host family interviews.
· Ensure that all families meet U.S. Department of State regulations and YFU Golden Standard for hosting.
Program Execution: While the students are on program, the PC will:
· Serve as the chaperone for the students for the duration of the program. The chaperoned activities are mostly from 9-5 Monday-Friday.
· Operate a 15-passanger van for some of the program days.
· Serve as the students’ and host families’ first point of contact, should there be an emergency situation on program.
· Facilitate arrival and farewell orientations. Use creativity and skill in developing and/or improving existing materials and curriculum.
· Monitor expenditures against budget.
Strategic Planning: the PC will play a critical role in assisting the Program Development Department to continuously make improvements to the existing programs and to explore new program opportunities. PC will:
· Analyze post-program survey results, write a program report, and offer suggestions to improve the existing program.
· Continually update and improve program procedures in order to streamline program data and process.
· Develop and manage standard operating procedures (SOPs) and create/update an operations manual specific to each program.
· Stay up to date on the field of international exchanges and identify unexplored opportunities.
· Participate in ad-hoc or ongoing teams as appropriate.
· All other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Knowledge:
· Bachelor’s degree in a related area. At least two years of experience in the international education, international tour/hospitality, training industry or other related field is desired.
· Excellent organizational skills.
· Strong and effective communication skills, both written and oral.
· Must be able to take initiative, work independently and learn quickly.
· Should be well versed in Microsoft office products, including Microsoft Excel.
· Demonstrated ability to develop and manage programs or projects to meet budgets and deadlines.
· Ability to work under pressure, manage multiple tasks, and work in a team environment.
· Excellent work ethic; very dependable, cooperative, highly organized, ability to meet deadlines.
· Must have a valid Passport/work authorization and the ability to travel.
Applicants must be eligible for employment and able to pass a pre-employment background check. If you are qualified and interested in being considered for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements at the career site.