Title: Exchange Experience Coordinator
Department: Exchange Experience
Reports To: Associate Director of Support Services and Senior Manager, Education & Training
Date: July 2019
YFU advances intercultural understanding, life-long learning, global competencies, mutual respect, and social responsibility through transformational educational exchanges for generations of youth, families, and communities, supported by dedicated volunteers and professional staff. Participants’ experience abroad gives them leadership competencies necessary to meet the challenges and benefit from the opportunities of a fast-changing global community.
Purpose of Position
To carry out the YFU USA mission, the Exchange Experience Coordinator (EEC) provides support to Education & Training and to Support functions. This position serves both departments across the year and accommodates peak times for each, as needed.
• Teamwork and Collaboration--Able to work independently as well as collaborate with teams.
• Emotional Stability/Adaptability – Ability to function effectively even when faced with rejection or stressful situations. Sees each failure as one step closer to success. Learns from failures and doesn’t take it personally.
• Emotional Intelligence – Ability to empathize and understand the emotions and motivations that underlie human behavior, i.e., ‘reading people’ well.
• Organization/Time Management - Effective prioritization.
• General Cognitive Ability – Ability to interpret information quickly and accurately
• Communication (oral and written) - Ability to articulate well and write clearly.
Essential Functions under Education & Training (April-July being peak period for E&T)
• Coordinate key elements for pre-arrival, post-arrival, mid-year, re-entry, and pre-departure orientations for all stakeholders – from US and international students to parents and host families:
o Communicate with Engagement Managers (EMs) to determine dates and locations of all orientations
o Assist EMs in planning local orientations
o Assist in updating orientation curriculum and materials
o Update orientation websites
o Create, distribute, and assess feedback forms following orientations
o Monitor orientation budgets
o Collect sign in sheets and track orientation participation
o Develop and implement new procedures to improve orientation tracking and increase compliance
o Assist in creating and delivering online orientations for students who cannot attend a live event
o Assist in planning and delivering JPDO, NPDO, Winter NPDO, and the CBYX Homecoming Orientations
o Communicate pre-arrival participation tracking to the EMs
Essential Functions under Support
• Student Support
o Coordinate, conduct, and document required support calls to each international student hosted by a YFU staff person.
o Maintain a full understanding of Emergency Line protocols to provide rotating coverage for the after-hours Emergency On Call Support Line.
o Organize, track, complete, and document Permission to Travel requests from international students; communicate with Engagement Manager (EM) to complete authorizations.
• Student accident/illness insurance claims
o Coordinate with student/ HF/YFU partner to complete elevated illness/accident claims process for international students on YFU plan
o Support communications to partners to enable students/NP to resolve claims issues for students on partner plans.
o Per YFU protocols, ensure comprehensive, timely, and accurate documentation in student database comments for all participant-related insurance issues and maintain dropbox documentation of claims and follow-up.
Essential Functions Overall
• Be versed in the YFU International Basic Standards (IBS) and Golden Guidelines, as well as US Department of State J1 Exchange Visitor regulations relating to secondary school exchanges.
• Actively participate in ad-hoc teams as appropriate.
• Provide feedback across Exchange Experience teams.
• Provide input based on responsibilities to YFU procedures/policy updates.
• Participate in summer exchange student placement cycle and recruitment activities as directed.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Knowledge
• Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience in relevant discipline; two years relevant work experience.
• International and/or intercultural experience strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated problem-solving, critical thinking and consultative skills, including an ability to calmly resolve issues and guide stake-holders through appropriate resolutions.
• Demonstrated ability to work productively and discreetly under pressure with sensitive issues.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; customer service-oriented telephone manner and excellent listening and reflecting skills for successful problem-solving.
• Ability to serve in an on-call function for assigned evenings and weekends. Access to internet, phone and computer required when on-call, including capability to make oversees phone calls.
• Ability to work independently in the absence of detailed instruction and direct supervision.
• Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to work under pressure on multiple tasks with deadlines.
• Ability to maintain objectivity and defuse emotional situations.
• Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheets, and database applications.
• Ability to work beyond a standard business day.
• Ability to travel as required.
• Flexibility and dependability essential.
• Past experience in customer service is helpful.
• Experience teaching, training, or leading large groups is preferred.
• This position will be office-based, either Washington, DC. or Saginaw, Michigan.
Applicants must be eligible for employment and able to pass a pre-employment background check. If you are qualified and interested in being considered for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements at the career site.