Department: Exchange Experience
Job Classification: Exempt
Supervisor: Vice President, Exchange Experience
Date: July 2019
YFU advances intercultural understanding, life-long learning, global competencies, mutual respect, and social responsibility through transformational educational exchanges for generations of youth, families, and communities, supported by dedicated volunteers and professional staff. Participants’ experience abroad gives them leadership competencies necessary to meet the challenges and benefit from the opportunities of a fast-changing global community.
Purpose of Position:
To carry out the YFU USA mission, this role is responsible for managing YFU online and classroom education activities including identification, development, deployment, and evaluation of training and orientation programs to meet YFU International Basic Standards and U.S. Department of State standards. This position works closely with YFU’s Exchange Experience teams: Engagement, Support, Volunteers and Quality Assurance to ensure successful orientations and trainings.
· Leadership Ability--Successfully lead, motivate, delegate, empower and engage people.
Higher Order Thinking Skills - Ability to remember, understand, apply, analyze, evaluate and create solutions while managing projects and teams.
· Teamwork and Collaboration--Able to work independently as well as collaborate with teams.
· Emotional Stability/Adaptability – Ability to function effectively even when faced with rejection or stressful situations. Sees each failure as one step closer to success. Learns from failures and doesn’t take it personally.
· Emotional Intelligence – Ability to empathize and understand the emotions and motivations that underlie human behavior, i.e., ‘reading people’ well.
· Organization/Time Management - Effective prioritization.
· General Cognitive Ability – Ability to interpret information quickly and accurately.
· Communication (oral and written) - Ability to articulate well and write clearly and accurately.
· Serve as the lead education and training professional, ensuring the development, delivery, and tracking of the highest quality work.
· Deploy orientation and training curriculum, publications, and resources for use with and by YFU students, families, volunteers and staff.
· Develop and manage Education & Training budget.
· Oversee organization, implementation, and tracking of Study Abroad Pre-Departure Orientations as well as lead in person non-field events:
o Field based in-person orientations
o Webinars for SA students and their parents : Summer and Winter
o National Pre-Departure Orientation (Winter and Summer)
o Japan Pre-Departure Orientations
o Congress Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX) Homecoming orientation in collaboration with YFU, Department of State, and other CBYX partner staff
· Oversee organization, implementation, and tracking of Pre-Arrival, Post-Arrival, Mid-Year, and Re-Entry Orientations for international students and host families.
· Manage and train department staff to include Exchange Experience Coordinator (50% time) and interns.
· Partner with YFU teams to plan and implement volunteer and staff conferences.
· Provide contract and logistical support to coordinate Culture & Language Camp with college resource.
· As required, actively participate in and contribute to YFU USA national initiatives, advisory groups, committees and meetings, offering constructive advice for improvements for the benefit of all.
· Be versed in the YFU International Basic Standards (IBS) and Golden Guidelines, as well as US Department of State J1 Exchange Visitor regulations relating to secondary school exchanges.
Actively participate in ad-hoc teams as appropriate
Participate in summer exchange student placement cycle and recruitment activities as directed
Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Knowledge:
· Undergraduate degree and relevant work experience of five years focused on training, curriculum development, and project management; graduate degree preferred.
· Experience working with and supervising teens preferred.
· Demonstrated networking and interpersonal skills and teamwork orientation.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills including demonstrated writing ability. Public speaking experience helpful. Excellent customer service and presentation skills as well as effective communication style overall.
· Demonstrated ability to initiate, manage, and follow-through on projects; strong organizational and administrative skills. Must be able to work independently and as part of a team; and with all levels of staff and volunteers.
· A self-starter able to think proactively, strategically and creatively.
· Demonstrated ability to develop and manage a budget.
· Demonstrated ability to recruit and train staff for seasonal orientation staff positions.
· Ability to work well under pressure, meet deadlines, prioritize and coordinate several projects simultaneously.
· Ability to serve in an on-call function for assigned evenings and weekends. Access to internet, phone and computer required when on-call, including capability to make oversees phone calls.
· Computer skills including Microsoft Office, Adobe, InDesign, working knowledge of HTML, familiarity with web-based software platforms and desktop publishing.
· Ability to learn about, commit to, and educate others on YFU’s mission and goals.
· Must be reliable; dependable, flexible; and results and goal oriented.
· Previous international living or student exchange experience.
· Ability to work beyond regular work hours.
· Occasional travel necessary.
· Availability to be based in YFU Washington, DC or Saginaw, MI office is strongly preferred; remote work option will be considered.
Applicants must be eligible for employment and able to pass a pre-employment background check. If you are qualified and interested in being considered for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements at the career site.