Status: (short-term) Independent Contractor
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Coordinator of Program Development
Youth for Understanding USA (YFU) advances intercultural understanding, mutual respect and social responsibility through educational exchanges for youth, families and communities. Through the exchange experience, YFU students gain intercultural understanding, learn mutual respect, and develop a sense of social responsibility. Their experience abroad gives them leadership competencies necessary to meet the challenges and benefit from the opportunities of a fast-changing global community.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM:
Youth For Understanding USA (YFU) is running several short-term inbound programs for high school students from around the world. During their two-week stay in the US, the students engage in English Language classes, as well as cultural and social events. They are placed with volunteer host families, who invite the students to be a part of their family for these two weeks. The students make ever-lasting bonds with other students, their host families, the volunteers, and the employees and contractors that work with them.
As the English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher, you will play the largest educational role in the students’ experience in the USA. There are four program dates with two groups in the summer and two groups in the fall. The dates are as follows:
- July 1, 2017 to July 15, 2017
- July 16, 2017 to July 29, 2017
- Sep 30, 2017 to Oct 13, 2017
- Oct 21, 2017 to Nov 3, 2017
You can choose any or all of these date ranges during which to educate these students who are eager to learn about the English Language and American Culture. You will be responsible for planning and executing the instruction. You will be provided the students’ ELTiS scores (when available) so you can best prepare your lessons.
Ideally, the ESL Teacher will also function as the group chaperone for the rest of the day. Qualified candidates interested in chaperoning for the 2 weeks will be given preference.
- Serve as ESL teacher for any of the date ranges listed above.
- Plan and compile curriculum of ESL classes based on students’ English levels.
- Deliver 18 hours of English instruction in 6 sessions.
- Coordinate with YFU Program Coordinator for class arrangements.
- Serve as a group leader for the same time period which includes the following responsibilities
- Finalize program logistics
- Be the chaperone for the students during the duration of their program. The chaperoned activities are mostly from 9-5 Monday-Friday (the group leader can set the final schedule).
- Be the students’ and host families’ first point of contact should there be an emergency situation on program. You will be provided staff contacts where situations can be escalated.
- Other duties as assigned.
SCHEDULE FOR PERFORMANCE:
Six classroom sessions run from during the time frames listed above. Classes are on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Each session is 3 hours in length, may have a short break, and begins at 9AM.
Preparation time is at the contractor’s discretion.
Ideally, the ESL Teacher would also be the group leader for their other activities. Please express interest in your cover letter.
Payment will be provided in a lump sum after the conclusion of the program.
Applicants must be eligible for employment and able to pass a pre-employment background check. If you are qualified and interested in being considered for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter at the career site.