Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Chief of Staff
Youth For Understanding (YFU) advances intercultural understanding, mutual respect and social responsibility through educational exchanges for youth, families and communities. Through the exchange experience, YFU participants gain intercultural understanding, learn mutual respect, and develop a sense of social responsibility. Their experience abroad gives them leadership competencies necessary to meet the challenges and benefit from the opportunities of a fast-changing global community.
- Assists the Chief of Staff with decision making by providing technical guidance and background information as it relates to YFU’s IT systems and operations.
- Works with the Chief of Staff to define and focus YFU’s IT department and ensure the Department’s goals align with YFU’s Organizational Goals and Objectives.
- Acts as the connection and spokesperson between the outsourced and internal IT staff/programmers and YFU staff and customers.
- Provides oversight and support to the YFU IT help desk ensuring that standard operating procedures are documented, followed and consistent.
- Ensures timely follow-up to staff and customer tickets.
- Recommends, develops, and documents cost effective processes to improve the effectiveness of the IT department.
- Identifies the high priority organizational projects and navigates those projects to satisfactory completion—prioritizing the tickets for IT staff to resolve and keeping other stakeholder informed of progress.
- Oversees the organization’s day-to-day outsourced network administration team including developing an inventory of all IT equipment and a seamless on-boarding/off-boarding process for staff.
- Uses experience as a full stack developer (especially focused on PHP and WebObjects coding) and tester to advise and check YFU’s IT systems code changes and updates.
- Verifies IT team results by conducting system audits of technologies implemented.
Qualifications and Requirements:
The ideal candidate will provide technical guidance to the Chief of Staff relating to changes and developments of YFU’s IT systems and processes. In addition to possessing the technical knowledge to learn the back end of YFU’s IT systems, the IT Operations Specialist can clearly and effectively communicate changes, issues, and outcomes to YFU stakeholder staff and customers. The IT Operations Specialist has an overall understanding of YFU’s mission and organizational goals and makes decisions and recommendations to align the IT Department to those goals and budget considerations. The position can think strategically, but can also act with a direct hands-on-approach to resolve issues and interface professionally with customers.
Key skills required/preferred:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or other technical discipline
- Previous experience as a full stack developer, preferred
- Previous experience as a project manager or similar role.
- Solid HTML skills; familiarity with programming languages especially PHP and WebObjects
- Willingness to learn both the technical and user side of YFU’s IT systems.
- A clear track record of strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to operate and communicate effectively in a team-oriented work environment.
- Forward thinker—always thinking how systems and operations can improve the workflow for the organization.
- Willingness to think big picture on behalf of the organization but willing to “get in the weeds” to resolve a problem—potentially writing code to carry projects to completion.
- Ability to think proactively, tactically, creatively, and strategically
Computer, monitor, keyboard, telephone, fax machine, copier, computer software.
- Talking and hearing skills
- Repetitive motions of wrists, hand, and /or fingers
- Working conditions - this position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions
This job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modifications.
Applicants must be eligible for employment and able to pass a pre-employment background check. If you are qualified and interested in being considered for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements at the career site using the link below.